In April last year Google introduced Google Places. Its purpose was to allow business owners to verify and supplement their business information and generally manage their presence on Google, but there are many more advantages to Google Places.
You can add the following information on Google Places:
- Essential Facts about the business
- Hours of Business
- Geographic areas the business serves
- Product Offerings
- Coupons / Vouchers
- Real-Time updates to your Place page i.e. promote a sale, a special event
- Customers can leave a review of your business.
To add your business to Google Places follow the steps below:
- Sign in to the Google Account you want to register your business under. Note: If you don’t have a google account, you can register for one here also.
- Browse to Google Places
- Click on “Add new business”
- Fill in your business details:
- After you submit your details, Google will send you out a confirmation letter with a PIN. You need to enter this PIN in order to verify your address details.
- After confirming, you can access your Google Places Dashboard and see how many times users saw and showed interest in your business listing as a local search result. From here you can also modify your business info and post to your place page.
After you have added your business, it can appear in local search results. For example, the following search for “restaurants northern ireland” reveals the following:
Note that each of the results (A-G) has a Place Page link that can be clicked that will take the user straight to your business Place Page.
Google offer a personalised dashboard within Google Places that includes they keywords that people have used to find your business, how many times people have found your business and from what areas people have travelled from to visit your business.